What makes the Assessment different than other systems
The B Impact Assessment is unique in that it is:
- Positive Impact Focused – practices that intentionally address a social or environmental issue are measured, not practices that simply comply with existing laws or norms.
- Comprehensive – a company’s operational practices (including workers, suppliers, manufacturing practices, and governance) and the company’s products/services are measured because both are important in understanding a company’s effect on the world.
- Adaptable – there are over 40 versions of the Assessment that are tailored to a company based on size (# of employees), sector, and geography.
- Easy to use – it is designed for use by small and medium-sized businesses.
- Educational – business owners and operators can use it as a guide to improve impact.
- Transparent – criteria and weightings for each impact area, subcategory and individual question within the BIA assessment are available in the assessment.
- Independently governed – Standards Advisory Councils (SAC), a group of thought leaders, experts, and practitioners control the quality of the standard.
- Dynamic – new and improved versions of the BIA assessment are developed every two years.